A fresh controversy has erupted ahead of the release of The Kerala Story 2: Goes Beyond, with Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan criticising the sequel and its alleged intent, and director Kamakhya Narayan Singh firing back at the remarks.
In a post on X, the Kerala CM expressed concern over the sequel, calling the original film “hate-mongering” and accusing the makers of attempting to malign the state’s secular identity. Vijayan said that Kerala had previously rejected what he described as communal narratives and urged that the sequel be viewed with “utmost gravity.”
He further stated that fabricated stories aimed at inciting division should not be given space, asserting that Kerala would once again stand against any attempt to portray the state as a centre of extremism.
Director’s Response
In an interview with NDTV, director Kamakhya Narayan Singh responded strongly to the Chief Minister’s comments. He said the film is based on documented incidents and claimed that the issue depicted in the story is real and visible in news reports and legal cases.
“We request him to see the truth. During the release of the first film, victims were brought forward. Ignoring the issue will not make it disappear,” Singh said, adding that filmmakers have a responsibility to highlight social concerns.
The director maintained that the sequel draws inspiration from multiple reported incidents and is the result of extensive research. According to him, the film aims to raise awareness rather than create division.
Background of the Film
The original The Kerala Story, directed by Sudipto Sen and produced by Vipul Amrutlal Shah, sparked widespread debate upon its release in 2023. The film depicted allegations of religious conversion and recruitment into extremist organisations. It later won two awards at the 71st National Film Awards, including Best Director and Best Cinematography.
The sequel’s trailer, released earlier this month, presents multiple storylines involving alleged coercion and religious conversion across different Indian states. The narrative claims to address what the makers describe as an organised agenda, a position that has drawn both support and criticism.
The Kerala Story 2: Goes Beyond is slated for theatrical release on February 27, 2026. As the date approaches, the debate surrounding the film highlights the continuing intersection of cinema, politics and public discourse in India.
Originally published on 24×7-news.com.







